Sunday, October 2

Model Names

Before I lost the stomach for staring into the vacant eyes of teenage Estonian girls, I maintained an exhaustive list of the names of high-fashion models. My interest in fashion peaked at age 17, but the models themselves have always fascinated me. They're alien creatures -- the ability to become a blank slate, being 6 billion feet tall -- but cool, and weirdly self-aware. And, like the list of Olympic athletes, the names come from all over the world, so it's a good mix.

Maybe it's because I've been into names for so long, but it's harder and harder to find new and exciting ones. The surest way to find something interesting is to source names globally -- looking beyond my particular place and time in history opens up a world of names I never would have come across otherwise.

So here are some good ones from that now-forgotten list --

Agyness
Aminata
Aurélie
Cassiane
Cato
Doutzen
Dovile
Honorine
Iselin
Lucelania
Malgosia
Milou
Nathaline -- which reminds me, I must do a post about "-ine" names
Pernilla and Pernille -- who'd have thought?
Svieta
Talidy
Tayane
Truus
Yasminka -- come on

1 comment:

  1. Love the name Aurélie, she's so cweet and feminine, plus makes a great alternative to the current popular name Amélie.

    ReplyDelete

Names are all opinion -- share yours.